I. Purpose of Neighborhood Watch
A. Crime Prevention
1. Practice crime safety measures that eliminate opportunities for criminals.
2. Help others avoid becoming victims of crime.
3. Responsibly participate with law enforcement in the apprehension of offenders through safe techniques.
4. Be willing to testify as a witness in court, if you have observed a crime.
5. Follow through to ensure that all violations be followed until the criminal process has been completed.
B. Encourage Citizen Involvement
1. Encourage others to join in crime prevention.
2. Aid others when they become victims to a crime.
3. Work for a better and safer neighborhood through protecting and honoring the rights of others.
Five steps to starting a Neighborhood Watch Program
1. Recruit and organize as many neighbors as possible.
2. Contact the Walker County Sheriff’s Office, Sergeant Terry Hambrick, (706) 638-1909 ext 1269 and schedule a meeting or submit a Neighborhood Watch Application online.
3. Discuss community concerns and develop an action plan.
4. Hold regular meetings and train.
5. Implement a phone tree and take action steps.